Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why it form 8915 populating for tax year 2023?

bryce
Level 3

It seems that Form 8915 is rolling into tax year 2023 and has 1/3 of the IRA distribution from 2020 as still taxable on the 2023 tax return. The client already paid 1/3 in 2020, 1/3 in 2021, and 1/3 in 2022. Thoughts on will this automatically go away after the early February update? Or are you planning to just delete Form 8915 and move on?  Cant believe the software doesn't know this already and needs to wait for an update.....or shocked that we would have to manually remove the form. 

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryce

16 Comments 16
dascpa
Level 11

Please read all the prior posts on this same subject.  The answer - the program is not 100% complete.  We're sure (hoping, praying, pleading) there will be an update to fix this.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Intuit's standard answer to this type of question is "we are aware of an unexpected behavior and it will be fixed in a future update".  They don't like to give a timeline, so you know when it is safe to go back in the water.  You can just delete the form and move on, but the scary part will be what happens when they do fix it?  Will your return be ok or will it muck it up with the fix?

Slava Ukraini!
Jonesin1
Level 4

Customers who had Disaster distributions in 2020 (non COVID related) might see the form 8915 populate in their returns for TY 2023, when they should not.

Customers who had Disaster distributions in 2020 (non COVID related) might see the form 8915 populate in their returns for TY 2023, when they should not.

Our development team is currently working on a fix for this issue. In the meantime, there is a workaround for customers who do not need the 8915 for TY23. For returns that do not need the form:

• Place a 0 or delete the numbers found in line 2 or line 11.
  • Delete the form from the return

If the customer got a non-covid disaster distribution at anytime in 2021, they will still be required to use the form once it is final.

IRonMaN
Level 15

But how come nobody from Intuit can ever say - it is estimated to be fixed in a week, a month, or it won't be done until October 1st?  Tax preparers have a short window to get returns out the door and when they have no clue as to when it will be safe to proceed, Intuit leaves them hanging in limbo and makes their tax seasons that much more frustrating. If my truck breaks down and the shop doesn't have parts, they will tell me the parts should be here in about x number of days or weeks.  At least I know roughly when I will get my wheels back.  Why can't Intuit operate with that same courtesy?

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Jonesin1 It appears you work for Intuit. Shouldn't they give you a profile that says Intuit Employee?

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Someone must be working undercover.

Slava Ukraini!
bryce
Level 3

I searched the form number.....didn't see any new posts about this form for TY23. Sorry if I missed a post about it. 

0 Cheers
Rick1725
Level 3

Yeah, same thing happens for me. Form 8815 is erroneously populates. It shouldn't even be created.

Oh well. I found out that Intuit offers a special upgrade to ProSeries for only $1299 extra that promises to try to be timely and accurate, not just expensive.

0 Cheers
Jonesin1
Level 4

Im self contracted

0 Cheers

@ IRonMaN said:

If my truck breaks down and the shop doesn't have parts, they will tell me the parts should be here in about x number of days or weeks.  At least I know roughly when I will get my wheels back.  Why can't Intuit operate with that same courtesy?

You must be new around here!😅

IRonMaN
Level 15

No, I just feel better if I bring up the point every year.  Out of frustration, before I started doing that I spent my time pulling the wings off of flies.  As a side note, did you know that Minnesota is the only state with a large population of wingless flies?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers

Try Fireball.  It works a lot better.  Plus you don't have a lot of wings that you need to clean up.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Actually, I keep the wings and sell them on e-bay.  It's become a very lucrative side business.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers

You can probably make more money in that business than in this business!

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's a very relaxing job - time seems to just fly by.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

does anyone know if the 8915 is still populating in 2023 program?

0 Cheers