Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Special Name Control for EF on a 1041 Fiduciary Information Worksheet giving me an error?

davetodd11
Level 5
I am generating a 1041 return for a Grantor Type Trust.  When I enter the Name Control at the top of the Fiduciary Information Worksheet I get an error telling me that "Characters in the name control should be in the Name of the Estate or Trust."  I am using the Name Control that the prior year tax preparer used to EF.  I realize that this code is generally taken from the first 4 characters of the name of the trust or estate, but somehow the IRS apparently took it from the first 4 letters of the Fiduciary's last name.  Since the prior year preparer was able to EF, I can only assume that the code as entered is correct.

How do I keep this from reflecting an error in ProSeries, which I assume would prevent me from e-filing?
0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

You can uncheck the box for error checking when you efile so program does allow it.

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
dkh
Level 15

Are you sure Name Control is correct - was this a return prepared in your office last year or by a preparer at another firm ?   

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If you have the copy of the EIN letter, the name control appears at the top of page 2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"but somehow the IRS apparently took it from the first 4 letters of the Fiduciary's last name"

The program will auto pull the first 4 letters of the trust name, but if you think it should be something different, you can change whats in that EF Name Control box.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
davetodd11
Level 5

I unfortunately do not.  I am taking over the returns for several taxpayers and trusts.  I'm in the process of filing POAs for each, but it's a slow process because I didn't have a CAF, and the IRS won't give me the Name Control for any entity until the POA for the entity is processed.  

0 Cheers
davetodd11
Level 5

It was another firm.  They provided a copy of their input forms, which had the code that they used last year.

0 Cheers
davetodd11
Level 5

The program actually didn't automatically pull it in.  The block was blank when I started.  I manually entered the code, but it doesn't like it.  I'm certain that the code I entered is correct, but am concerned that if ProSeries shows it as an error, it will not let me file the return.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

You can uncheck the box for error checking when you efile so program does allow it.

davetodd11
Level 5

Got it - didn't realize the error checking could be turned off.  Thanks.

davetodd11
Level 5

I found the error check box to uncheck and allow the return to be filed, but I need to obtain an eSignature first, and the same 'error' is preventing me from sending the request.  How do I override error check within the return?

0 Cheers