Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the IRS rejecting charitable contribution on standard deduction filers

Annie D
Level 3

I have had many clients affected

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

That same type of message popped up on 2020 returns with the RRC Credit.

It meant nothing then, and probably means nothing now. 

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Are they rejecting the returns? What is the rejection error information?

MWMALLON
Level 2

Are you referring to the message that has started popping up on many returns. "Proseries has detected that the amounts calculated...." ?

This isn't a rejection and I think it isn't a real detected change.  If you created a 1040X for those it shows as no change.  I think a recent update kinda broke something but doesn't seem, hopefully, to have actually had an effect on returns.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Were the returns prepared before Intuit updated the system on where those deductions needed to be entered?

Slava Ukraini!
Annie D
Level 3

Yes, that is the message I was referring to.  So it sounds like "no action necessary" from me and the clients will get a full refund.  Thank you so much.  One less thing to worry about. 😃

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You need to go back into schedule A and enter the contributions in the smart worksheet rather than entering an amount on the total line.

Slava Ukraini!
The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

That same type of message popped up on 2020 returns with the RRC Credit.

It meant nothing then, and probably means nothing now. 

wardpallotta
Level 2

My client took her standard deduction ($14,250) on the original return. The amendment had no effect on the standard deduction, but now 1040x line 2, column C reads $14,550, which includes the charitable deduction. To avoid showing a $300 change in column B, I made col A and col C entries equal, resulting in an e-file rejection. File under "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Or you could just enter the amounts in the correct boxes and not be damned at all.

Slava Ukraini!
wardpallotta
Level 2

When I originally submitted the amendment (that was rejected), I did correct one standard deduction entry so that they matched at the correct amount. Despite line 2 asking for the itemized or standard deduction, that's not what it wants. It wants that plus any charitable deduction taken. I added $300 to both standard deduction amounts and the e-filing was accepted. So what it asks for and what it wants are two different things.

Tax Tip #667: Sometimes you have to be softer than a smart ass.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"So what it asks for and what it wants are two different things"

Or you could just enter the amounts where they belong ------------------------ and you could read the whole thread before posting. 

Slava Ukraini!