Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you report sale of American Gold Eagles inside an IRA?

peterhawaii
Level 3

Taxpayer wants me to report it on Schedule D netting the losses from  the sale of numismatic coins.

Somehow I think the IRA should be reported else where.  Where can I find the rules of how and where to report the liquidated IRA account?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If he takes money from an IRA he'll get a 1099R to report on the tax return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

What is in an IRA stays in an IRA.  So if they were sold while in an IRA, there is nothing to report on the 1040.

But then you said "liquidated IRA account".  What do you mean by that?  Did the taxpayer WITHDRAW  money from the IRA?

peterhawaii
Level 3

This is a new client.  He will be liquidating his American Gold Eagles IRA Account.  This means he will be cashing it in.  Then he has to report it on his 2021 Federal and State tax returns.  Where do I report the transaction.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If he takes money from an IRA he'll get a 1099R to report on the tax return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

Maybe I'm assuming too much here, but it sounds like he has capital losses of more than $3,000 on transactions outside the IRA, and he wants to use them to reduce his 1099-R income from an IRA withdrawal. 

If that's the case, just figure out a polite way to inform him he's stupid, or ignorant, or both.  

PATAX
Level 15

If he receives a 1099-r then would you not report it as you would any other 1099-r? Also since I am familiar with numismatic area, I am surprised that he lost money on what that you mentioned .... But that is just my opinion...

qbteachmt
Level 15

Here's the issue:

"He will be liquidating his American Gold Eagles IRA Account. This means he will be cashing it in"

Separate Account and the account's Investments.

You can sell the coins, and the money still sits in the IRA Account. <== no distribution, nothing to report

Or, you can distribute all the money and Close the Account. <== triggers 1099-R

Or, you can Close the account by removing the coins from the trustee management. <== triggers 1099-R

Nothing here is Sched D. It's all protected by the IRA structure.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Also since I am familiar with numismatic area"

You cannot hold numismatic investments in an IRA. Only certain coins that fall under precious metal determinations are allowed.

PATAX
Level 15

@qbteachmt 👍 I have been collecting coins since a child that is what I meant by being familiar...

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I have been collecting coins since a child"

Okay, so now we know where all the pennies went.

PATAX
Level 15

@qbteachmt I still check mY change for that old wheat penny... Who knows maybe one day I'll get lucky and find a 1909-s VDB....