Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I deduct the IT229 credit on the IT196?

NancyP
Level 2
Directions say that the amount of IT229 credit has to be deducted from tax on the IT196 form but there doesn't seem to be a place to subtract this.
0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
jfjefts
Level 3

If the IT-229 is filled in correctly, it flows to the IT-201-ATT line 18, not the IT-196

0 Cheers
NancyP
Level 2

NYS directions say that if the credit is deducted on IT 201 then it has to be subtracted from the real estate taxes claimed on IT196

0 Cheers
NancyP
Level 2

NYS instructions for IT 196 state "If you claimed the real property tax relief credit (form IT229) THEN you must reduce the amount of real estate taxes reported on Line 6 by the amount of the property tax relief credit claimed."

I saw that the credit went to IT201 but there is no subtraction on the IT196

0 Cheers
jfjefts
Level 3

I looked at all of the forms, and neither NYS or Intuit has made a place for that to be added back. I agree with you. Hopefully there is an update that will take care of this.

0 Cheers
tkarris
Level 3

Any IT-229 credit automatically subtracts from the real estate tax on IT-196.

Beware though, of all the clients I e-filed NYS with this credit, not one of them has been issued a refund and in every case the NYS website Where's My Refund says the numbers don't match. Anyone else have this issue?

0 Cheers
PWHITECPA
Level 2

Any update on this?

0 Cheers
tkarris
Level 3

ProSeries is working fine. It's NYS. As of yesterday, 2/23/22, they are 'reviewing' all my e-filed returns that include the credit from IT-229. Not one refund has been issued as of yet.