Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a mix up with the TP and Spouse's ITIN's and one return has already been accepted. What to do?

Level 4
  • TP and spouse are Married Filing Separately. They came into do their taxes at separate times. Both have ITIN's.
  • The wife did her tax first but accidentally gave us her husband's ITIN. We e-filed and the IRS accepted the tax with the wrong ITIN and she even received her refund.
  • Husband came in later to prepare his tax return and that is when we realize that his wife had accidentally given us his ITIN instead of her own.
  • I don't know why the first return was accepted with the wife's name and his ITIN, unless ITIN's are not checked by the IRS with the same precision as SSN's.
  • What would you say is the best course of action? An amended return? For the husband and wife to go to the IRS with both their returns and ITIN's and explain the mixup? I'm open to suggestions.
0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Level 15

I suggest amended return for wife.

File husband correctly but it will need to be paper filed since there is already a return on file with his ITIN.

Level 15
Level 15

Id say Amend the return with the husbands ITIN and the wife's income to have his income, then file an original return for the wife.

Level 15

That might be less confusing to the IRS.

Level 11
Level 11

In IRS-E-Land everything follows the tax ID no.  

Efile 1040x w/ explanation to fix the return already filed with husbands correct info

paper-file wife’s return w prepare notes to explain and copy of the 1040x….


If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround