Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stepped-up basis / married couple/one deceased

Greta
Level 9

Stock sold by widow. It was originally jointly held. Does she get a stepped-up basis for her deceased husband's half?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yup

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yup

Slava Ukraini!
Greta
Level 9

Just got off the phone with widow's broker. Their statement to IRS gave her a *short-term* 7K gain without a stepped-up basis. He said widow does not get her husband's half of step-up. Shall I use the adjustment box on Sch D? But how to move it to long-term?

0 Cheers
MICHAELMARS
Level 5

Are you sure it was a joint account and not just hers?

IRonMaN
Level 15

Use the adjustment box to correct for the cost.  If it was a joint account and the sale was a short term gain, her half wouldn't be LT. 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Inherited property gets a long-term holding period, even if you sell it the day after you inherited it.

I'd get a statement of the assets in the account and their values as of the date of death. Broker can provide.

I would not rely on the broker's statement about getting a step up or not.

Ex-AllStar
Greta
Level 9

Both widow's half and the inherited half are long term. But report to IRS was all short term. I will perhaps enter on Sch D as reported, then undo it, then enter it correctly on long term in two parts, having looked up on Big Charts the cost basis on date of his death; and find out when they bought the stock originally.

0 Cheers