Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I amend return for shortened first name or nick name?

catherine3
Level 3

I efiled a return for a client with the first name Alexander. However, half of his tax documents had the name Alex and I used that shortened name. The return is showing as ACCEPTED in the EF status section of Pro Series. Should I ammend this return for 2021 and change his name or just correct so it will be correct next year?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They dont care about first names.  I have several little old ladies that Ive had a first name on their tax returns forever, but their SS statement shows a totally different first name.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

No need to amend.

I would not worry about it unless it matters to the client, and then offer to change it and reprint his copy of the return (Telling him the Copy has been changed, but not the IRS Copy.)  

I don't know if you can amend to change a first name, it seems the only thing the IRS matches to the SSN is the Last Name.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Just leave the return alone.  As long as it was accepted the last thing the IRS is going to want to deal with is an amended return that just adds a few letters to someone's name.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

They dont care about first names.  I have several little old ladies that Ive had a first name on their tax returns forever, but their SS statement shows a totally different first name.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪