Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sec 965 tax payment

Phil L
Level 2

Instead of sending a electronic payment for federal 1040, client erroneously made the selection as a 965 payment. 

Sec 965 is for "Deferred Foreign Income Corporation" (DFIC).  The client is a US citizen with a 1065 domestic partnership business and never had any foreign income 

My question is how to proceed with the 965 refund. 

Thank you

Phil

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dkh
Level 15

If the client can afford it - probably they should pay the balance due for 1040.  I'd be nervous that getting the Sec965 payment refunded or moved to the 1040 would go beyond the April 18th deadline.

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think someone will need to call IRS.

If the taxpayer sets up an account at irs.gov, maybe it could be handled through that.

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

Interesting your client chose this out of all the options, lol.

Agree with Susan someone would want to call the IRS.

The reason is that 965 installments are administered separately from regular tax liabilities.  With each installment received, the IRS would reconcile that against the taxpayer's outstanding 965 installment for prior years and the installment due for the current year.  Overpayment, if any, would then be applied or refunded.

If your client doesn't have any 965 liability, the payment erroneously designated for 965 should then be refunded if not for the balance due on the 2022 return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
dkh
Level 15

If the client can afford it - probably they should pay the balance due for 1040.  I'd be nervous that getting the Sec965 payment refunded or moved to the 1040 would go beyond the April 18th deadline.

Phil L
Level 2

Thank you for your reply.   Will request for credit to be applied to client's 1040.

Thanks again.

Phil L
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.

The exact thought went thru my mind.... of all the forms the client selected 965.  I will be super specific when client pays online next time...

I will have the credit apply to the 1040 tax liability.

Thanks.

Phil L
Level 2

thanks for your reply.

Will call and try online to apply credit to next year's 1040.

Thanks again.