Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saturday 03.02.24

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Who is working today?  About mid-point through the tax filing season.  Been a banner year this year and even today.  I hope everyone's tax season is going strong.   Here's to a strong finish. 5695 fixed.. Wage issue fixed.. RITA fixed, W-2G workaround is easy.. 

24 so far today, not quite 3 pm. 

14 Comments 14
IRonMaN
Level 15

I wasn't keeping count but I believe 4 bags of Dove chocolate today (how many in a bag?)  

Yesterday sucked.  Had trouble completing returns --------- what is so difficult about including all of your information in with the first pass?  Making some progress today - thankful for those clients that can actually provide everything I need on the first pass.  

I had a return yesterday that had a W-2G that came up with an error.  Has anybody come across that problem yet?  Does anybody know a workaround? 😜

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

There is a W-2G problem?  first, or second i heard of this. 

dkh
Level 15

I'm in the office.  Not cranking out returns though.  Doing the tedious jobs that are part of a being a one person business - billing, filing,  looking for a clients file that has gone missing,  filing corporate and partnership extensions......oh, and I wrapped a birthday present for my grandson.

Jim, Ohio does daylight savings time changes - correct ?    Springing forward that hour makes you lose out on how many returns??

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio wrote:

5695 fixed..

Not quite.  They still force you to fill out the boxes for BOTH line 17 and 21 even when it doesn't apply.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

you are so right!  I never thought of that.. I may lose out on three returns with the time change!

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I got rid of 74 clients and still taking volunteers to leave this year.  They were the difficult to deal with and less trustworthy and out of state and ones that want to do everything by email clients.  I think we are almost back to almost replacing half of those with mostly better clients already.

I have secretary that does data entry so I just have to check and call with questions probably third of my clients.  She is tough and has kicked out a few on her own.  Be done with over 600 by this weekend. 

PATAX
Level 15

Been working all day. Usually Saturday is quite productive, but too many calls/drop offs/pita clients today.

Paige3904
Level 1

CAN YOU SHARE--WHAT IS THE W-2G WORKAROUND?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@paige 

There are several threads discussing the workaround.  No need to ask on this thread that is really only about "how's your Saturday going".

Here's just one that has better intel:

https://accountants.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/do-we-have-a-workaroun...

Or even this one - it's even on the first page of the forum:

https://accountants.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/w2g-worksheet-final-re...

I'm trying to work; in-between dealing with the 43 inches of snow we have received since early Thursday afternoon and the 60-70 plus MPH winds that keep making my power blip.  Which resets Lacerte & my modem - so I have to wait until it all cycles thru & then re-enter my Lacerte password.

AND it is still snowing !  

I love living in my mountains, most of the time.  But these March blizzards sure can mess with the work-flow.  I'm just glad I had an extra day in February to devote to snow blowing/shoveling 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Send a little of that snow you don't want this way.  We are a little short and could use some.  Actually, we are a lot short.  We have none.  It looks and feels more like April than March 2nd ----------- in other words, it feels like tax season should be ending rather than being in the thick of it.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

I heard you were a bit warm.  I'd love to send some your way, altho up until this storm we were below 'average' (whatever the h*!! average is anymore).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Winter never really took hold this year.  Lakes are going to be low once the little bit of ice they have on them goes away and the forest fire season could be interesting and early this year.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I shoveled snow once.. one single time this winter and I really ony did the sidewalk to be a good neighbor for the dog walkers. 

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

ok..  so in addition to my 1040s I do among, other returns about 50 S Corp returns.  Almost without exception I am the one that runs the general ledger so I know I have clean financial statements.  For the ones that I don't run the G/Ls I remote in my client's computers using TeamViewer and clean things up and make any necessary adjustments.  

It is very rare where I just take 100% prepared client financial statements and prepare an S Corp return.. (mostly because those financial statements are not trustworthy and are a mess) Well anyway. new S corp client.. I really didn't want them or need them as a client but they were referred to me and I thought I would take them on.  Well the bookkeper sends me the income statement and balance sheet and general ledger and what do i see.. Items costing llike $ 150 being set up an an asset to be depreciated.  Another one that really tells me she knows very little about S corps is there is a line item on the Income statement called S Corp Owner Health insurance.  

Why is that a red flag?  Well there should not be a balance at year end in S Corp Officer Health inurance.. that should have been credited and Officer wages should have been debited.. This lady also does the W-2s and I have not seen them yet but from what I can see so far there was no S Corp Health Inurance additon to wages.  

I should have stuck to my instincts on this one and politely passed when presented the opportunity to take them on.  Ok.. rant over.. about 8 pm saturday night.  

0 Cheers