Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S Corp allowed loss

Asia
Level 2

My S Corp shareholder has a prior year loss carry forward (12K). This year there is an allowable loss of $2000 due to increased basis from contributions and a profitable year. The allowable loss on the basis worksheet is not carrying to the K1. The K1 only shows the current year income.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yeah, Intuit is severely negligent with Basis limitations in ProSeries.

Enter a second K-1 for the corporation, but rather than entering the corporation name, title it as "PYA".  And enter the allowable loss on that.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040se#en_US_2022_publink24332td0e1875

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yeah, Intuit is severely negligent with Basis limitations in ProSeries.

Enter a second K-1 for the corporation, but rather than entering the corporation name, title it as "PYA".  And enter the allowable loss on that.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040se#en_US_2022_publink24332td0e1875

Asia
Level 2

When you say enter a second K1, are you talking about doing that on the 1120S return which would produce a K1 titled PYA or a mythical K1 that doesn't actually exist that you enter on the 1040? The instructions you provided are for the 1040 but I'm working on an 1120S... Just want to clarify.

Thank you!

Losses Not Allowed in Prior Years Due to the Basis or At-Risk Rules

• Enter your total prior year unallowed losses that are now deductible on a separate line in column (i) of line 28. Do not combine these losses with, or net them against, any current year amounts from the partnership or S corporation.

• Enter “PYA” in column (a) of the same line.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

On the 1040.  Basis limits are on the 1040, not on the 1120-S.

The prior year unallowed loss should still have been showing on that K-1, but it would have been disallowed on the 1040 due to Basis.