Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth IRA

ladydi233
Level 2

I have a client that converted a 457 Roth in 2021 to a Roth IRA, she then took out a distribution in 2022.  The distribution shouldn't be taxable but she does owe the 10% penalty.  I can't figure out in the Proseries system to just figure the penalty without having to take the full distribution.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
taxes96786
Level 9

You need to make a calculation adjustment. Had the interest been paid on the account before transfer? You may need to include that in the adjustment.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You need the ROTH basis in there, I think theres a quickzoom button right on the 1099R worksheet if you scroll down.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

Did your taxpayer already have this (or any other) Roth IRA account for at least 5 years before taking this distribution? There are a bunch of rules for Roth distribution, including various 5-year rules:

https://www.investopedia.com/are-roth-ira-distributions-taxable-5220750

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
ladydi233
Level 2

She rolled it from a 457 roth to an IRA roth last year, so she hasn't met the 5 year rule tes.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9

You need to make a calculation adjustment. Had the interest been paid on the account before transfer? You may need to include that in the adjustment.

0 Cheers