Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential rental property: how to capitalize improvements

HN
Level 2

Hello, I have a client who made improvements to his residential rental property.  What asset class should I select for these improvements? 

1) kitchen/bathroom remodeling: J5 - qualified improvement property?

2) New appliances: F - Rental furnishings?

3) New windows: J5 - qualified improvement property?

4) New roof/HVAC: J6 - Roofs/HVAC/Fire/Alarm/Security?

I'm confused because under the definition of Qualified Improvements or Qualified Leasehold Improvements, it refers to "commercial" buildings.  The property is residential..

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@HN wrote:

Hello, I have a client who made improvements to his residential rental property.  What asset class should I select for these improvements? 

I'm confused because under the definition of Qualified Improvements or Qualified Leasehold Improvements, it refers to "commercial" buildings.  The property is residential..

Exactly.  So #1, #3 and #4 would be depreciated a Residential Rental Property, usually over 27.5 years.

Although there is a good argument that merely reshingling is not a new "roof" (at least in some cases) and could potentially be deducted as a repair.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@HN wrote:

Exactly.  So #1, #3 and #4 would be depreciated a Residential Rental Property, usually over 27.5 years.

Although there is a good argument that merely reshingling is not a new "roof" (at least in some cases) and could potentially be deducted as a repair.

MICHAELMARS
Level 5

You might be able to write off remaining basis of replaced assets under the Partial Asset Disposition regulations.