Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping Pension Withholding

BobKamman
Level 15

A client should discontinue withholding on his pension because changes in his situation mean he owes no federal tax.  So he needs to file Form W-4P, right?  But that's not available until March 31.  I know, I can fill one out manually.  I would have to do the final step manually anyway, because the form no longer has a box to check to indicate "I don't want tax withheld."  Instead, the IRS instructions say:

Choosing not to have income tax withheld. You can choose not to have federal income tax withheld from your payments by writing “No Withholding” on Form W-4P in the space below Step 4(c).

Now:  Intuit won't allow me to post this at the moment because of a message that says,

"Post flooding detected (community received posts of a unique message more than 1 times within 3,600 seconds)"

But I will keep trying.

2 Comments 2
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have found it depends on the pension administrator. If the Taxpayer calls, sometimes they can get it changed, or sometimes the administrator will send them the form they want filled out.

0 Cheers
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

Now:  Intuit won't allow me to post this at the moment because of a message that says,

"Post flooding detected (community received posts of a unique message more than 1 times within 3,600 seconds)"

Well now - that intuit filter has not stopped a whole bunch of other repetitive questions..LOL

They must not like you BobKamman LOL again😀

0 Cheers