Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment received for donating blood

rcooley25
Level 11

I have  a dum question to ask.

I have  a client who says he has received $4000.00  in 2021  for donating blood and there har not been any  form issued.

So how do you show this on the tax return.

I thought of contacting my ex wife since she got all of mine but she is dead now.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
dascpa
Level 11

$4,000?  Obviously your client is a vampire who has a Schedule C for being in the business of collecting blood.  The question is - is this a Sec. 199A QBI activity?

On a side note what is the cost of your own blood.  If it's the sale of personal property not at a gain then I would think it's ignored?  Curious to hear other answers.

And next we'll hear about donating sperm and more.........

rcooley25
Level 11

To come to think about it He does have funnl looking teeth.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Either he has a rare blood type or this is for plasma.

Apparently getting paid for plasma is big business in some parts of the country.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

sjrcpa - stop being logical.  Think out of the box.  Vampire is a better answer.  Or - - maybe he goes around to crime scenes, collects the blood and sells it in containers.  I'll look on Amazon or Ebay.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@dascpa wrote:

Vampire is a better answer. 

But a vampire would be BUYING blood, not selling it.

🦇

TaxGuyBill_0-1645469851174.png

0 Cheers
rcooley25
Level 11

Very true.

But in thecase of my x wife she did not buy she got it free compliments of the court.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"and there har not been any form issued."

They are typically paid on a refillable debit card, so that would fall under 1099-K rules. They would have provided their SSN to the blood/plasma bank.

@TaxGuyBill has argued this point with the TurboTax crowd. Let's see if he'll update this.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers