Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child credit for great grandchild

sldcpa
Level 2

I have a client who has guardianship of his daughter's, adoptive daughter's child. So essentially his great granddaughter. The great grandchild has lived with him and his wife since April 2021 when guardianship was granted by the courts. I am entering in the dependents section and entered grandparent as relationship. I am thinking that applies to great grandchild?

And when I do that, ProSeries then says they have to be counted as other dependent (O)as the code in the dependent section of the federal information worksheet. I entered 8 months as the amount of time lived with taxpayer in US.  And that makes them ineligible for the child tax credit. I am confused, I thought they would get the $3600 child credit. What am I missing or what am I entering wrong. The grandchild lived with them for more than half of the year and they provided more than 1/2 of the support.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@sldcpa wrote:

I am entering in the dependents section and entered grandparent as relationship.

Enter grandCHILD as the relationship.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@sldcpa wrote:

I am entering in the dependents section and entered grandparent as relationship.

Enter grandCHILD as the relationship.

sldcpa
Level 2

Thank you, that works!

sldcpa
Level 2

Do you agree that it qualifies for being grandchild, even though it is technically great grandchild thru adoption?