Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layered Partnerships in Pro Series

thetaxdoctor1
Level 3

HI, I have to implement a layered partnership in ProSeries where a taxpayer is the sole member of one partnership and then that partnership is the Managing Partner of another partnership.

At first I didn't think you could create a partnership with one partner but I managed to do it and cannot replicate it.

Is there a specific setup for a Managing Partner? 

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

"At first I didn't think you could create a partnership with one partner but I managed to do it and cannot replicate it."

You need 2 for a partnership, so I dunno how you managed it, but can see why you wouldn't be able to replicate it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
thetaxdoctor1
Level 3

ok, thanks for your help . . . rolls eyes!!

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Really..... you're rolling your eyes at Lisa's accurate answer

Are you confusing a single member LLC (which does not file a F1065) with a partnership ?  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"taxpayer is the sole member of one partnership"

Not a partnership, then. There is no partner to the one person. That means "disregarded entity."

"and then that partnership"

Are you confusing LLC (a State organizational construct) with "partnership?" Right here, you still have "an individual"...

"is the Managing Partner of another partnership"

Is this person, your only person under discussion so far, the only "member/partner" here, as well?

So far, you have reviewed one person.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers