Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest paid on Line of Credit funds used by someone other than my client

dkh
Level 15

Client withdrew money from their Line of Credit to lend to someone.  This someone paid interest to the client and issued them a 1099-INT.  

I do not know what to do with the interest the client paid on their LOC.   

I think it is not deductible. Client has interest income to report but cannot take the interest expense. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Investment interest?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Investment interest?

Slava Ukraini!
dkh
Level 15

F4952.... of course !!     Which means it's useless because client can't itemize.

Thank you @IRonMaN .              

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

But of course, relying on your advice the client is charging a higher interest rate than what is being paid, to make up for the tax owed. 

Right?

dkh
Level 15

@BobKamman     "relying on your advice"    Hahahahaha  I don't have those kind of clients.  Mine like to show up with surprises.    However, the client is charging 2% more than they're paying.  Not sure I agree with lending to your employer, other than it maybe helps with job security. 

abctax55
Level 15

Doesn't investment interest carryover if not used?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
dkh
Level 15

yes, unused amount carries forward.  Still doesn't help client if they can't itemize when it can be used.     

I need to educate client on tax implications of lending out money s/he is borrowing.