Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient Signature - esignature?

Hello Community, 

I completed an ex-pat return a few weeks ago, collected an e-signature, printed the documents and snail-mailed to the IRS. They then sent a letter to the taxpayer wanting an original signature. Can she simply re-sign above the e-signature and redate? 

Thanks everyone, 

Dawn 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@SensibleandHourly wrote:

Got it. 

So, can she resign over that signature, redate, and resend in this case? Or will the IRS want a fresh copy? 

Hmmmm, 

Dawn 

Have the client send a newly signed copy of the actual tax return

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

Why aren't you efiling this?

Ex-AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I don't think an e-signature is allowed on a paper filed return.

"The e-signature option is only available to taxpayers e-filing their tax returns through an ERO"

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/frequently-asked-questions-for-irs-efile-signature-authorizatio...

Got it. 

So, can she resign over that signature, redate, and resend in this case? Or will the IRS want a fresh copy? 

Hmmmm, 

Dawn 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I had a client get one of these letters telling him they couldnt process his 1040X without a signature, but it was EFILED!!

I had him sign a copy of the 1040X and include the 8879 along with it too, I think they just have stupid people working at IRS.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@SensibleandHourly wrote:

Got it. 

Hmmmm, 

Dawn 

Have the client send a newly signed copy of the actual tax return

sjrcpa
Level 15

That's what I would do, too.

Hand signing over or near the esig is probably too confusing for the IRS.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers