Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husband and Wife LLC

jsoles24
Level 3

I have something new to me. My clients, husband and wife, formed an LLC with the two of them as the only members. The LLC was formed for their rental property. The rental property deed and mortagage are in the name of the LLC. I understand that the husband and wife LLC is considered a qualified joint venture. In this case, should I complete a 1065 or complete either Sch C or E on their personal return? The do file MFJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

It's not a qualified joint venture. The LLC precludes that.

Exception may apply if Community Property or owned as Tenants by the Entirety.

Otherwise, a 1065 is needed.

Ex-AllStar
jsoles24
Level 3

The husaband and wife live in Texas and property is in Louisiana. Both states are community property.

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Definition of a Qualified Joint Venture

A qualified joint venture is a joint venture that conducts a trade or business where (1) the only members of the joint venture are a married couple who file a joint return, (2) both spouses materially participate in the trade or business, and (3) both spouses elect not to be treated as a partnership.

LINK: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorpo....

jsoles24
Level 3

Thank you. Does this mean that if they did not elect the LLC to be treated as a partnership that they will need to file form 1065. If they did properly elect with the IRS to not be treated as a partnership, would I use Schedule E for the rental property?

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

If they setup an LLC, then they chose to file a 1065 as a partnership. The above link says unincorporated, and they formed an LLC

BobKamman
Level 15

Someone. Went. To a Seminar.