Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report my clients income as foreign earned income when they get a 1099 misc form for their income

JRT
Level 1

My client is an overseas missionary.  Their income is reported on a 1099-MISC form rather than a W2.  When a client gets a W2 there is a box to check in Proseries indicating it is foreign earned income.  There is no such box that I can find when reporting income on a 1099.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

§911(d)(6) dictates that adjustments for deductions allocable or chargeable to the exclusion be made on Line 44.  Gross income is reportable on Line 20a.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

Instead of relying on a checkbox to flow the details to F.2555, you will need to make the input for the income along with the sourcing code on 2555 Inc Wks-T instead.  You'll complete the rest of F.2555 as you usually do with others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
JRT
Level 1

Not sure I follow.  They have a schedule C with detailed expense deductions.  Where do I put that on form 2555?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

§911(d)(6) dictates that adjustments for deductions allocable or chargeable to the exclusion be made on Line 44.  Gross income is reportable on Line 20a.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers