Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happy Labor Day to all

PATAX
Level 15

It is Labor Day, so I am here in the office working. Nice and quiet.😉

15 Comments 15
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Glad to have some company... Happy Labor Day

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
PATAX
Level 15

@Skylane An old timer, who built a successful business from scratch, told me years ago: You have to make hay when the sun shines.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I think that old timer was a little lazy.  You can still make hay when it is cloudy😉

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

@IRonMaN 👍I think they have to make the hay when it is pretty dry and that's why they do it on sunny days. If it's a little bit moist I don't think it is as good quality. Maybe @TiredFarmer can shed some sunlight on this.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

You can but you can't always save it....seen  some put it in bales before it had cured and it burned their barn down.  That is true about the quality too.  You can walk in a barn and tell if hay was put up in good weather or not so ideal hay weather....I am just Thankful we have switched to the 4x5 round bales instead of the square bales that weigh around 60 to 80 pounds it sure makes work easier. 

Hope you all have had a good summer! I am already dreading the October deadline it seems like the ones I have left brings one document at a time.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Or the Old timer may have really meant make the most of a good situation while it lasts.

PATAX
Level 15

@TiredFarmer I just picked up some sweet corn at a local Farm. Only $5 a dozen and it is the best I ever tasted. The local corn crop came in about 3 or 4 weeks ago I think, a little late because of the hot dry weather. That farm is located on land where the first settler in the area homesteaded. There was nothing but trees everywhere when they first came. They cleared all of the land by hand with an ax! Just imagine that. Hard-working good people.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Was it called incredible or peaches and cream these are two of our favorite?

PATAX
Level 15

I'm not sure what they exactly call it. It's mostly white corn with some yellow in it, sweet and real good. He staggered his farm crop so the corn comes in at different times. Most of the local farmers plant corn and also soybeans I believe.

TiredFarmer
Level 7

Sounds like a smart man.   We like to stagger our garden stuff so it don't all hit us at the same time seems like the older we get the slower we are.

PATAX
Level 15

The local farmers that have vegetable stands raise corn, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, green beans, pumpkins, Etc. When it is earlier in the season and before the local crops are ready, I think they bring up some of the produce from Southern Ohio I think.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I’m not a huge vegetable person, but I love a good sweet corn on the cob.  But don’t ask me about varieties - I don’t recall ever noticing some type of ID on any corn I have ever bought.  Or do the kernels provide some type of code - like reading braille 😊

Slava Ukraini!
PATAX
Level 15

Corn update: the corn I bought a couple of days ago was mixed. Some were all white and some were all light yellowish, and one had a green worm in it. Too bad I don't fish anymore, I could have put that little critter to good use.

BobKamman
Level 15

You know what they say about Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, with people who grow corn in between.  

PATAX
Level 15

@BobKamman 👍🤣 Bob that Farmland has been producing corn since the first settlers came around the 1790s. One of The Descendants told me there was nothing but trees here when they came. The first thing the settlers did was plant corn after clearing the land. They had to clear the land in order to get proper claim to it, whether they purchased the land or whether it was a tomahawk claim. After planting corn, of course they had to process it somehow, and that's when they built the first basic grain mills along the small Creeks around here. Later on they built more stable grain mills or Grist Mills. Basically corn was all they ate originally, along with the plentiful game around here.