Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure to File Penalty

aedwan
Level 4

Taxpayer filed extension by the April 15 deadline and paid the total tax due. Will IRS assess 5% penalty if he misses the October 15 extension filing deadline, even though he fully paid his tax bill with the extension?  

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I believe that your belief is correct.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
PATAX
Level 15

I believe the penalty is assessed if there is an amount due. If I am incorrect then someone will correct this.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I believe that your belief is correct.

Slava Ukraini!
Taxprohere
Level 7

I think IronMan is very agreeable, must be the post-extension Fireball, to agree to contradictory beliefs!

If no tax due, no late filing penalty.

Also no late filing penalty if 90% tax paid (not sure if it has to be paid by by Oct 15, I'll leave that one open)

With extension, and no tax due after Oct 15, no late filing penalty.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

I agree with @PATAX No tax due no penalty. From IRS. "

• If you owe tax and don't file on time, there's also a penalty for not filing on time. The failure-to-file penalty is usually five percent of the tax owed for each month, or part of a month that your return is late, up to a maximum of 25%. If your return is over 60 days late, there's also a minimum penalty for late filing; it's the lesser of $485 (for tax returns required to be filed in 2024) or 100 percent of the tax owed. See Topic no. 304 for information about extensions of time to file if you can't file on time.