Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension verification

Magicv
Level 2

A client received a letter from the IRS stating that they owed $2,053.00 for filing late. The client's extension was accepted, according to ProSeries. The daughter of the client was acting on behalf of her parents. The parents were both deceased at the time of filing. What do I need to do about proving the existence of the extension to the IRS?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Penalty for filing late or paying late?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Have you seen the IRS notice or is this based on a phone call from the daughter?  Are you sure it's not from a state revenue department?  

For IRS, the "first time abate" procedure should be the easiest way to deal with this.  

Magicv
Level 2

I have a copy of the letter. This is Texas and there is no state income tax. I will look up this "first time abate" procedure, if I can. Thank you.

abctax55
Level 15

"....The client's extension was accepted, according to ProSeries."

Print out that proof, and reply to the notice with it.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

That's why it's a good idea to always print out the confirmations, first when it is successfully transmitted to both IRS and state entities, and then when it is accepted by the aforementioned. I would rather be a safe nerd than a sorry nerd.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I always print an e-file history report after extensions and returns are accepted——- you can never be too safe.

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

I always print an e-file history report after extensions and returns are accepted——- you can never be too safe.

Me three (or four or five, whatever we're up to now.)