Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Educational credits - no Form 1098T

buelfarm
Level 3

My client's dependent, age 19, is attending an excellent 2 year Bible College.  The college has chosen to NOT participate in Federal Aid programs, is NOT found on any IRS list, and does NOT issue a Form 1098T for the student's Tuition paid.  According to what I have read, there is no way to use the Form 8863 for Educational credits (student would be AOTC eligible) without the Form 1098T.  Does anyone know of any IRS work-arounds, or are these folks just not able to have any Educational credits? 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

God will provide -------------------- but even he can't provide any educational credits if the college isn't participating within the system.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
taxes96786
Level 9

Is this an accredited college? Maybe it doesn't qualify.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If they dont participate in the federal aid programs, then I dont think IRS considers them an eligible institution and they wont be eligible for AOTC.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

God will provide -------------------- but even he can't provide any educational credits if the college isn't participating within the system.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

In other words, "I want federal aid for sending my kid to a school that has a strongly held belief against federal aid."  Takes all kinds, I suppose, although I don't think accepting federal aid is a requirement to be an eligible school.  What they do need is an EIN, and apparently that's against their religion.  

Even foreign schools qualify, from what I have found:

"While foreign educational institutions are not required as a matter of Title IV eligibility to obtain an EIN and complete Form 1098-T for U.S. students they enroll, it is a financial benefit to the student for the institution to do so and may provide the student with additional funds to pay for continued enrollment."

https://fsapartners.ed.gov/knowledge-center/library/electronic-announcements/2018-08-06/general-subj...

0 Cheers
buelfarm
Level 3

They specifically are not accredited, but choose not to be ... there are 7 Seminaries that accept their students into Masters Level programming via an agreement.  From what I read, no AOTC. 

0 Cheers
buelfarm
Level 3

Yes, I think that's right!  Thank you 🙂 

buelfarm
Level 3

You are absolutely right ==> thank you !!  I know this Pastor & his wife will be disappointed in the financial aspect of this reality, but they know their student is in the right place.  Appreciate your perspective 🙂 

buelfarm
Level 3

Thanks for your efforts & thoughts ==> appreciate your time !