Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E filing and New York State

catherine3
Level 3

My software will not let me e-file a individual return someone who filed an extension for the state of New York. However, New York does not accept paper returns. What do I do?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you followed ljr's advice and you still don't have success, try "unclicking" the box for e-filing the extension.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
ljr
Level 8

on the federal info worksheet did you check off the efile state box and pick NY? I'm efiling fed & NY returns with no problems. You probably missed the box. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

If you followed ljr's advice and you still don't have success, try "unclicking" the box for e-filing the extension.

Slava Ukraini!
catherine3
Level 3

Thank you so much. This worked!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
JOFI
Level 7
Level 7

While the State of New York strongly encourages electronic filing, it is not correct that they do not accept paper returns.  I paper filed a return earlier this year for a non-resident who incorrectly had New York state taxes withheld from their pay -- I couldn't e-file because the return was requesting a full refund of all state taxes withheld.

0 Cheers