Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid exemption for IRA w/d's

Greetings Community, 

I'm helping clients who have a 2022 1099-R form showing a 194k w/d with a Box 7 Distribution Code of 1 - IRA box checked. The clients believe that because of Covid there was an exemption for the penalty incurred. They claim that the representative told them there wouldn't be a penalty when they called to make the withdrawal due to said exemption. However, I haven't been able to find anything for 2022 Covid related that would apply.  Just in case I am missing anything, I thought I would ask the group. 

Thank you! 

Dawn 

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

There were not any Covid-related exceptions for retirement withdrawals in 2022.  The client and/or their retirement representative may have been thinking of the special rules during part of 2020.

Any chance they were in a Federally declared disaster area that may have qualified for the special rule for retirement withdrawals?

Hello, 

Thank you for responding. No, not disaster zone. I think they were just confused and now have a large amount owed to the IRS. But I would have been happy to be very wrong about that! 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Q4. What is a coronavirus-related distribution? 

A4. A coronavirus-related distribution is a distribution that is made from an eligible retirement plan to a qualified individual from January 1, 2020, to December 30, 2020, up to an aggregate limit of $100,000 from all plans and IRAs."

Look here, to see if anything applies:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-exceptions-to-tax-o...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers