Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claiming RDP as a dependent but filing Jointly in CA

parvitstax
Level 5

I have claimed the RDP as a dependent on the 1040 since Federal doesn't recognize RDP and the person did not earn any income and lived with the taxpayer all year. 

When I go to CA state filing and create a joint RDP return the RDP is automatically added as a dependent (flow through from Federal) whenever I try to e-file. 

How can I prevent the federal dependent from flowing through to CA every time I attempt to e-file?

If I remove the dependent I have to save before e-filing and when I click save the software automatically pulls the federal dependent again. 

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
parvitstax
Level 5

I just had to create a 2nd File for the CA state RDP jointly filing. Removed the CA e-file on the original return and removed the Federal e-file on the RDP state return.  

Original return filed electronically for federal as HOH, 3 kids and 1 adult "other" dependent

RDP return filed CA state electronically as MFJ/RDP, only 3 kids as dependent

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
parvitstax
Level 5

I just had to create a 2nd File for the CA state RDP jointly filing. Removed the CA e-file on the original return and removed the Federal e-file on the RDP state return.  

Original return filed electronically for federal as HOH, 3 kids and 1 adult "other" dependent

RDP return filed CA state electronically as MFJ/RDP, only 3 kids as dependent