Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my S Corporation pay my Real Estate Taxes? If it can pay my personal withholding tax (PTE), why not?

Ephesians3-14
Level 8

Can my S Corporation pay my property taxes so that it can in turn deduct them on the Federal S Corp return? Would that allow me to deduct real estate taxes that might not otherwise be deducted because of the $10,000 SALT limitation?

I think the answer is NO because the corporation doesn't have an obligation in the first place to pay my property taxes. Other thoughts?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Many other states have a PTE tax, too. But you still can't have the S Corp deduct the shareholder's personal real estate tax.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15

No is the correct answer.

You join the millions of other taxpayers that are subject the the $10K SALT limit.

Ex-AllStar
ljr
Level 8

if you are in NY look at PTET (pass through entity tax) - optional - have to opt in each year. Might be more work than it is worth. www.tax.ny.gov/bus/ptet

sjrcpa
Level 15

Many other states have a PTE tax, too. But you still can't have the S Corp deduct the shareholder's personal real estate tax.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

A corporation can only deduct valid business expenses of the corporation on Federal 1120 or 1120S.....just my opinion....