Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Partnership California Secretary of State File number

plrraz
Level 3

My California 565 Efile is being rejected, saying that the SOS Filing Number is invalid.  I've been preparing this return since the early 2000's and I have always input the number with 12 zeros - there is NOT requirement for a CA general partnership to register with the CA Secretary of State - at least it was not a requirement in past years.

Did I miss something? Are CA general partnerships now required to register with the CA SOS?

I know I could just have it paperfiled, but that seems silly.  I tried inputting the 0's like in past years and then disabling the error check but that did not work.

Any help is very much appreciated.

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I enter 2000000000000 seems to take it. I think it has to start with a 19 or a 20 and be 12 digits

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Below is the background info.  All of my GP clients received the notice (most panicked and sent me the notice and I had to follow up with a couple of them.). 

Ask your client if FTB sent them the notice. If not or "don't know", @Just-Lisa-Now- 's suggestion is as good as it gets. 

FTB Notice 763B – FTB Assigned Identification Number (Tax news flash)

Due to a system update to accommodate AB 85 ***, entities without a Secretary of State ID on file with the Franchise Tax Board (FTB), (even if they had an EIN on file), were issued a temporary FTB ID number. FTB Notice 763B was issued to notify the entity of their assigned temporary FTB ID number. Approximately 295,000 computer generated notices have been sent since December 07, 2021.

If you received a FTB Notice 763B, and you are a non-registered partnership that is no longer doing business in California, contact FTB at 800 852-5711 to close your account.

If you received a FTB Notice 763B, and you are a non-registered partnership doing business in California, use the assigned temporary ID number on the notice to file a return and/or make payment to FTB.

If you have questions about registering your non-registered partnership, contact the California Secretary of State at 916 653-6814.

*** AB 85 provides an exemption from the annual tax for LLCs, LPs and LLPs that organize, register, or file with the Secretary of State on or after January 1, 2021, and before January 1, 2024.

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
plrraz
Level 3

I tried that - but I may have not put enough zeros in - so I will try it again in a few....thank you!

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

I don't think adding zeros would help any.  The number should have 7 or 12 digits.  If it's a 7-digit number and the system rejects it  add a C in front.  Perhaps the C has to be there.   

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
0 Cheers
plrraz
Level 3

Update - I called my client and they said "oh, I didn't think you'd need that letter from the state".

For those of you who are dealing with this, the number provided will NOT work (it's less than 12 digits) UNLESS you put zeros in front of it.....then, SUCCESS!

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Cheers