Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA form 100 (stock corporation) first year $800 franchise fee

ptax255
Level 5

Hi, this is the first year filing form 100 for CA stock corporation. The software is calculating $800 fee for this first year. I thought based on the link below this fee is waived for the first year. How can I mark it as such in Proseries?

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/business/types/corporations/index.html

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Perhaps a Proseries user could help by doing a dummy run of an initial year CA corp to see if the $800 pops up.  If so, software problem.  If NOT, there may be an override field (like for Lacerte) and you had an entry there.

Another possibility: Check the incorporation date.  Perhaps a year before 2023 was entered and Proseries ignored the entry (check box??) for "initial year" and used the incorporation year as entered.  Lacerte goes by the check box and ignores the incorporation year. Just a thought. 

Computer software generally behaves predictably.  That said, the above is all I could think of. 

When all fails, override the tax with zero.  CA has indeed waived the $800 min tax for a corporation's initial year..   

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you mark it as an Initial Return?   First page of the 1120, Line E.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
ptax255
Level 5

Yes, it's marked as Initial on form 1120 and question J on schedule Q of the CA return

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

weird, I dont have any corporations, but the CA SMLLCs that I prepare I just mark that Initial Return box and it waives the first year 800 fee.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
ptax255
Level 5

Right, it works for LLCs and Scorps. Wasn't sure if I'm missing something with Ccorps, but reading the FTB website it should be exempt the first year as well.

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

1.  Is it for a prior year return (when $800 was not waived)?

2.  If you're using Lacerte, did you enter something in the Min Tax override in CA Misc Screen 45?

3.  Was there taxable income on line 22, Net income, of Form 100?  Did it happen to be 9,050, triggering a tax of $800?

ptax255
Level 5

1. It's for 2023

2. Proseries 

3. Taxable income is $0

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Perhaps a Proseries user could help by doing a dummy run of an initial year CA corp to see if the $800 pops up.  If so, software problem.  If NOT, there may be an override field (like for Lacerte) and you had an entry there.

Another possibility: Check the incorporation date.  Perhaps a year before 2023 was entered and Proseries ignored the entry (check box??) for "initial year" and used the incorporation year as entered.  Lacerte goes by the check box and ignores the incorporation year. Just a thought. 

Computer software generally behaves predictably.  That said, the above is all I could think of. 

When all fails, override the tax with zero.  CA has indeed waived the $800 min tax for a corporation's initial year..   

ptax255
Level 5

I did an override. All else checks out. Thank you.

0 Cheers