Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid Form 1116 for less than 10% limited partners

ilenea
Level 1

Trying to get a Foreign Tax Credit in connection with two K-1/K-3s.  I'm a limited partner with less than 10% interest (actually, less than 1% interest) in each business entity.  Filing as married/joint.  Total Foreign Taxes paid is barely over the $600 threshold for automatically avoiding Form 1116 (total is $654 [$589 on one K-3, $65 on the other].

If I let TurboTax prep the 1116, and include the $589 and $65, I get $17 as a Foreign Tax Credit.  If I leave off the $65 from the 2nd K-3, and only report the General Category Income on the 2nd K-3, TurboTax does NOT prepare Form 1116, and I get $589 as a Foreign Tax Credit.

SO... here's the question ... do I HAVE to claim the $65 Foreign Tax Credit on the 2nd K-3, or is it legit to just leave it off?  OR, since I'm less than 10% interest, must I report ALL of the income (the passive column c income as well as the general column b income) as passive, and, if I do the latter (all passive), will it still required the form 1116?

OR.... if I let TurboTax do its thing, and only get the $17 Credit, will it know to carry forward the remaining $637 each year up to 10 years until it fall under $600 and can ALL be claimed?  Not sure why it won't still give the $600 Foreign Tax Credit and just carry forward the $54 excess - unless there is a way to force that.

HOPE I'M NOT BEING TOO CONFUSING!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
IRonMaN
Level 15

You’ve come to an Intuit site supporting tax professionals, and you may be looking for support as an individual taxpayer. Please visit the TurboTax Help site for support.

Slava Ukraini!