Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching form 8936 to S corporation 1120S

GC
Level 2

I am attaching form 8936 to 1120S. However, the system shows the following error message

Error: The submission contains a form which MeF is not accepting as a binary attachment. Please verify whether it is valid for your submission to include the form or schedule. If valid, complete the form or schedule in the program. 

I cannot complete the form in the program since form 8936 is not supported in 1120S! How can I fix this error? The only way I am thinking is to paper file the return but this make no sense that IRS ask us to prepare the form 8936 for clean vehicle credit.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you enter description, do not use the word "form" just use the number 8936

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Happy-Tax
Level 5

I had a similar situation with an 1120-S I efiled recently, and I found a workaround. I'm not at my office so I'm writing this from memory. I think this is how I got it to work.

Create the Form 8936 as a PDF, then with the 1120-s return open, select E-File > Attach PDF Files.

Attach the PDF of the Form 8936, then select "Other" for the Type, then click on "Schedule and Description" and type an entry there. From the best of my memory, these steps allowed me to attach a nonbinary attachment as a PDF and efile the 1120-S successfully.

Good luck!

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

When you enter description, do not use the word "form" just use the number 8936

GC
Level 2

I ended up call pro series help and get a work around solution. The help instruct me to save as a new file, unclick the extension efile, and change the authorization date to today. Attached the file and the error message disappear. 

0 Cheers
GC
Level 2

I have another return and I use your method and it works! Thank you.

0 Cheers