Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puerto Rico

Opfor77
Level 4

I'm finding conflicting information online.  Client lives in Florida, is a U.S. citizen.  Client has rental income from a condo in Puerto Rico.  How does that affect the 1040, and does anything need to be filed in Puerto Rico?  Thank you!

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
dkh
Level 15

Have you looked at this -  Publication 570, Tax Guide for Individuals With Income from U.S. Possessions  https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-570

daleoempire
Level 3

No effect really on 1040. Will of course need to file PR return but that must be paper filed and there are restrictions for who can file in PR (I believe only those licensed to file in PR). None of Intuit's products support e-filing to PR, so you might have to look for an CPA or tax preparer who is licensed in PR to file your returns. Has your client considered becoming a bona-fide resident of PR. Tremendous tax breaks if you do, I would consider looking into it (first and foremost, all PR source income is exempt from US tax and certain income is exempt for PR tax as well)

0 Cheers