Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proseries K-1 adding ghost K-1 and switching basis statements

TaxPrepper2024
Level 1

If return had a final K-1 in 2022, the 2023 program is pulling a ghost K-1 that is blank into the system that cannot be deleted and switching the basis statements.

This is happening on 1065 and 1120-S.  Got the run around when calling Proseries for over an hour being transferred between 3 agents and was basically told it was my computer and there isn't a glitch in the program....

Has anyone else had this issue?

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, been there done that a couple of times.  I tried a bunch of things and I don't remember which one actually worked.  I would try making a copy of the 2022 return.  Delete the final return K-1, adjust ending basis and ownership percentages for the remaining owners and then transfer that return over to 2023.  

Slava Ukraini!
rbynaker
Level 13

Wow, that's messed up.

If they find there's a glitch (you know, 2-3 weeks from now) and they fix it (2-3 months from now), you're probably going to have to retransfer anyway.  So I might be inclined to go back 2022, un-final the K-1, roll to 2023, and then delete that K-1.  You could rename your 2023 "ghost" file to filename-broken so if the work-around doesn't help you're no worse off than you are now.

I can think of no reason for this behavior on an 1120S (other than gremlins).  My first thought with a 1065 is that maybe you tried to go from 2 partners down to 1 partner and the software got grumpy trying to have a partnership with only 1 partner (and rightfully so, that would have been a termination in 2022).

Good luck.  Either way, post back if you find a solution.  It might help someone else.  Maybe someone else can chime in if they're run into a similar issue.

Rick

rbynaker
Level 13

@IRonMaN wrote:

Yeah, been there done that a couple of times.  I tried a bunch of things and I don't remember which one actually worked.  I would try making a copy of the 2022 return.  Delete the final return K-1, adjust ending basis and ownership percentages for the remaining owners and then transfer that return over to 2023.  

Wow, what a PITA.  Sounds like this ghost has been around for years.

IRonMaN
Level 15

If I remember correctly, we had the issue with a 2021 and a 2022 return.  The ghost sneaks up on you.  It would be nice if he would carry some chains so you hear him coming. 👻

Slava Ukraini!
LynnB
Level 2

Yes I had same issue. I just deleted the file and started a new return