Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program is registering $350 (an individual payment) for MCTR as an error, is anyone else experiencing this?

AliceTP
Level 2

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did someone bring you a 1099MISC for $350?  I didnt think they were issuing them unless they were over $600.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Your details are a bit lacking.  For example, how did you enter it?  What exactly is the error?

0 Cheers
AliceTP
Level 2

I entered the amount on a 1099-misc along with the correct EIN and marked yes that it was for the Ca Middle Tax Relief but the program registered the amount of $350 as an error, if you put in $700 or $1050 it does not. Those other amounts should only apply to married couples and people with dependents, a single individual would only have gotten $350.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did someone bring you a 1099MISC for $350?  I didnt think they were issuing them unless they were over $600.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It is quite bizarre that the program would give you an error, but there is never a need to enter a 1099-MISC unless there is withholding.  Just enter the amount as "other income".

However, be sure you have looked at the debate to determine if it should be taxable at the Federal level or not, and make your decision on whether it is taxable or not based on that.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Intuit started automatically excluding them under the General Welfare Exclusion in last weeks update...waiting to see if IRS releases something official at some point.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:

Intuit started automatically excluding them under the General Welfare Exclusion in last weeks update...waiting to see if IRS releases something official at some point.

Unless I missed it, checking that box just COMPLETELY leaves it off of the return, as if you never entered it (it doesn't enter it and back it out or include any statement).  Or did I miss something?

Unless they updated it since the first release, I think it is horrible they way Intuit phrases it.  It just says say the rebate name and "yes" or "no".  It doesn't give any indication of ASKING if you want to exclude it or not.

0 Cheers