Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Preparer's copy

JeffCPA
Level 4

I have had this problem over a few years now, and it has now popped up "suddenly" again.   When I try to print my "preparer's copy" (and printing to a pdf) the everything that should print for federal return, including cover letter, invoice, etc. will print, but the state return, and none of the state forms/information print at all.

Yet, when I do the very same thing, and print "client's copy" everything prints to pdf fine.  No issues.   Pro series has done this before, and I posted this question several years ago.   I found my question from before, and it says it was "solved" but no solution to be found.  

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I have never got wound up with what Pro Series calls the different copies. I just select on (In my case filing) and set it up the way I want it, selecting forms and worksheets etc. and That is the only copy I print. (then I pull out the stuff that is only for me, and burn another copy for the client.)

I know that doesn't answer your question, but if the Client Copy gives you what you want, why not just use that?

JeffCPA
Level 4

Hello.  Appreciate the reply and thoughts.   As I prepare someone's return--not always, but in many cases--I am creating my own notes and explanations for certain entries on a person's tax return, as reminders to myself for the future as to something I did in the past.   I don't want those notes being part of the "client's copy", but I want to have for myself a "preparer's copy" that will include those notes, and possible other documents.  Also, the preparer's copy has certain diagnostics that can be helpful to use and refer to later, but those are not (I believe part of the client's copy). 

So, that is why utilizing simply the "client's copy" is not what I consider sufficent--at leastnot for me.   You are correct, I can use that, but I should not have to use that, if the software is supposed to create a preparer's copy.  There is enough sorting, etc.already in the tax preparation process, that to have to manually pick and choose between a client's copy and a preparer's copy those documents is not efficient, and takes too much time.   Especially, in light of the fact that the software is supposed to address this, and really does not.   

0 Cheers
msmith7305
Level 7

I do not have that problem. I will ask the "dumb" question, however. Did you verify in the Print Diaglog box that you have selected BOTH the federal and state boxes before you print?

0 Cheers