Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Verbal response to 5071C

DENNYCARR
Level 3

State 2023 refund was issued - IRS sent 5071C - Return was MFJ with deceased taxpayer and widow is non-verbal in assisted living. There's a attorney-drafted POA from widow prior to disability and a 2848 from the POA to myself (which IRS accepted). How does this widow authenticate herself for the 5071C?

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
BobKamman
Level 15

I have been lucky enough not to have to deal with one of these notices, but I found the IRS explanation of it online at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-5071c-notice .  What it seems to say is that you can create an account online (the 2848 should allow you to do this) and answer questions without calling.  Or, if you want to call, 

"Note: An authorized third party can represent you and call us on your behalf, but we must have a completed Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative PDF, on file for the representative. Otherwise, you and that person must call us together and you must participate on the call."