Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married Couples Filing Married Separate

Karl117
Level 1

I have filed 53 couples' tax returns as Married Filing Separate.  9 returns had the same submission ID number for both the taxpayer and spouse.  The other 44 returns had different submission ID number for the taxpayer and spouse.  On three of the returns showing the same submission ID number.  The taxpayer received his refund in a timely manner.  The spouse's refund did not show up.  When checking the refund status on IRS.GOV and the Ohio Department of Taxation; they had no evidence that the report was filed. Since the returns were filed electronically with Intuit, I was unable to refile the returns.  Finally, a tech support person told me to file an amended return with no changes.  This seems to be working because, the return finally showed up on the IRS.Gov Refund Status page.  However, Ohio does not permit electronic filing of an amended return, and this will take a long time for the individual to get their refund. 

Just curios if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks

Karl117 

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
GodFather
Level 8

I have a MFS this year.  I'll keep an eye on it and appreciate the heads-up. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I do remember seeing something similar mentioned, but it was noticed at the time of Efiling that the wrong return had been sent.

@dd4vols  was it you that experienced this?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I only have one MFS (I an in a community property state) from another state. I have had a few others from time to time. I never do a MFJ and then do the split thing, I have 2 complete separate files, one for each taxpayer. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I didn't have any issue with the filing this year.

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Hey @Just-Lisa-Now- ... mine was a little different.  I had 'split'  returns (the dreaded div) and had the __tp and __sp addenddum to the file names. so not MFS, but may have a similar type reaction.

Solved: Return "accepted" that was never transmitted? - Intuit Accountants Community  

above is the link to that thread....but if you want to, skip to the last post ( you would be missing some top-level; posting though 😀). and see how they got me past my acks issues. 

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
T Starbuck
Level 1

We have this same problem. We have Intuit's hosting service through Right Networks, and we also installed on our in-house network server. Intuits response is this is a Right Network issue and Right Networks said this is an Intuit issue. Complete run around. I was able to send the return in through our in-house network. Proseries obviously have an issue and are not letting preparers know there is an issue. We pay enough for this program this is unacceptable.

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I had this happen.. MFS returns.. One went through.. other one did not even though EF center said it did.

Two ways to fix it... take the one that did not go through

1. call intuit.. they give you a code to enter and then submit return

2. highlight return in Homebase. file, copy, save to desktop

delete original return that did not go through

restore the file you just put on the desktop

submit return

0 Cheers
mdenick
Level 1

The same thing has happened to me and the only way I knew about this issue was that the spouse notified me that she did not get her refund, while the husband did.  I got no error, rejection, or other notification.  Any idea how to correct this?

0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

Two ways to fix it... take the one that did not go through

1. call intuit.. they give you a code to enter and then submit return

2. highlight return in Homebase. file, copy, save to desktop

delete original return that did not go through

restore the file you just put on the desktop

submit return

0 Cheers