Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It worked

PATAX
Level 15

Client did not bring in 1099 forms from broker (again). I called him up and asked him to ask the broker to email them to me. Instead the broker sends me information on how to go on his companys online secure portal to get the forms, with passwords, text codes, and/or other nonsense. I tried but couldn't get it done. I called the client back up, and told him to have the broker mail it directly to me. In the meantime I asked colleague, and he said he doesn't get any forms for any clients, and his clients do that themselves and bring it into him. On another forum another accountant said the same thing. So today I got the forms in the mail from the broker. So it worked out okay. And I saved a ton of money in ink and paper for not having to print all of these forms! Cost of HP ink has gone through the roof over the years.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I wont do that log-in password BS for a clients brokerage account either, Ive got enough crap to keep track of!

I do have a few that will send me a direct link and that link will send a PIN/CODE to my email and I can grab them that way, I dont mind that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I wont do that log-in password BS for a clients brokerage account either, Ive got enough crap to keep track of!

I do have a few that will send me a direct link and that link will send a PIN/CODE to my email and I can grab them that way, I dont mind that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I have a handful of clients that will have their broker send me 1099s.  Usually it is a pretty simple process like Lisa noted.  I make copies of 1099s for my file so it isn’t a big deal if I end up printing them myself.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

When brokers ask me to Jump, I don't ask How High.  Instead, I ask how much in commissions they collected from my client last year, and then I suggest to my client that they start out by paying me an equal amount since apparently we are both essential to their financial plan.  

Mike3232
Level 3

I have my clients send pictures

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

This is becoming more and more common as brokerages post tax forms on line instead of mailing. 

I  (automatically) reply to brokers (secure message) email that I’m unable to access or retrieve and they MUST  fax or mail to my office…. They always do….

The other issue with their system is that the pdfs are safeguarded so you can’t separate the 8949 to attach …. They’re a PITA. 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround