Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else having a problem with efiling Alabama after the update for the AL FIT form

mm1
Level 5

Yesterday 3-31-22 I updated Proseries and the new FIT form was in the software. Most of the huge stack of rejected AL returns were not affected by that update - only had 2 that were affected, fixed those 2 and then spent 2 hours going through the process Proseries said we had to do to e-file the rejected returns. I went into each client, went through the error checking (no errors), re-filed AL one by one. This morning every one of those clients AL returns were rejected AGAIN. This morning I updated Proseries again, then updated a second time which said no updates found. I have re-efiled only 2 of those clients, neither of whom are affected by this AL change to see if they will accept this time. I am about at my wits end with the pile up of rejected AL returns that I cannot seem to get to go through even though they are not affected by the change. Next step will be to call Proseries Support because I cannot waste any more time at this critical point in filing season.

Please let me know if you have had problems with rejections so I can figure out if it is just on my end.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
mm1
Level 5

Well, after being on hold with Proseries for a while I was just told that there is an update scheduled for APRIL 7, 2022. Yes there was an update 3-31-22 that added the new form but the e-filing side requires another update. She checked twice after seeing that I wasn't the only one with this problem. I asked for verification of the date and she said "I'm sorry but the update is scheduled for April 7th, 2022 according to the record on my screen and everything that I can find out about it."

You can put zeros in all those 2020 recomputation boxes all day long but it still won't e-file ANY Alabama tax return regardless of if they are impacted or not. The reason is that the client could have had EIC OR CTC in 2020 and just not be eligible for 2021. The system can't see that a client is 90 years old. What a crock the Alabama Legislature did passing this so late into 2022!  

Well, gang, I hope she got it wrong and we can e-file our Alabama returns before April 7th!!!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
JGrahamAtlCPA
Level 2

I had the same problem yesterday.  All of the ones I filed after the update were rejected.  About to try again.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Rejection before the update and again after the update....looks like they did make some changes with the update, if you open the AL return you may find some new blanks that need to be filled, they just didnt fix the problem.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
IRACPA4U
Level 3

I had the same thing happen.  Tons of rejects from AL of returns that had NO EEFECT by the FIT worksheet.  I just opened them all, ran the review and resubmitted and EVERYONE of them has rejected AGAIN!

Has anyone tried calculating the amounts that go in the FIT smartworksheet using the spreadsheet created by the State of Alabama?  I spent a couple hours trying to figure this out but had no success.  Does anyone know when ProSeries will have the update to automate this calculation?? I have boxes and boxes of returns that I have not printed and submitted waiting on this update only to find that the update only gives you the form.........you have to do all the calculations manually........... I CANNOT do that for all these returns........... SUGGESTIONS???? How are you handling this?

Thanks!  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I just have one that's a NR, return with no income, just have a filing requirement due to gross rents, but ends up with a loss. None of that FIT stuff even applies...looks like its stuck at Received by Intuit now.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Alatax
Level 2

Same problem here. The excel spread sheet  and the amount calculated by Pro Series is the same but the extra blanks that need to be filled out, Not sure what goes there. It appears the calculation, above these is correct. I have a letter from the state of Alabama,. that they adjusted this client. but there adjustment does not match Pro Series or the excel calculation.   Help need better instructions and guidance from Pro Series. 

Alatax
Level 2

This gets even better on hold with state for over an hour, transferred 3 times trying to find someone who can explain the form, .All 3 times no-one new what I was talking about. Finally moved up the chain. to someone who would be able to help me. She said I would have to call the IRS, they had nothing to do with federal tax deductions. I  explained to her the new bill, that was passed and that yes, Alabama has a deduction for Federal income tax paid. She again told me to call the IRS and hung up on me.

benrg
Level 2

same here, nothing will go through since FIT update..... come on man (proseries)

hankinstax
Level 5

After one hour with support, I have been informed our problem with be resolved in an update scheduled for 4/1.  This is unacceptable but what can we do?  The Alabama legislature made this problem with a mid season rule change but as expected ProSeries has done nothing to help.  I get the feeling they don't care about Alabama given their total lack of interest in our needs and problems.  Again I say this is the worst program and/or support of my 25 years with ProSeries.  (I'm just sounding off as there is nothing we can do but wait until ProSeries does something for us.)  

mm1
Level 5

Well, after being on hold with Proseries for a while I was just told that there is an update scheduled for APRIL 7, 2022. Yes there was an update 3-31-22 that added the new form but the e-filing side requires another update. She checked twice after seeing that I wasn't the only one with this problem. I asked for verification of the date and she said "I'm sorry but the update is scheduled for April 7th, 2022 according to the record on my screen and everything that I can find out about it."

You can put zeros in all those 2020 recomputation boxes all day long but it still won't e-file ANY Alabama tax return regardless of if they are impacted or not. The reason is that the client could have had EIC OR CTC in 2020 and just not be eligible for 2021. The system can't see that a client is 90 years old. What a crock the Alabama Legislature did passing this so late into 2022!  

Well, gang, I hope she got it wrong and we can e-file our Alabama returns before April 7th!!!

0 Cheers
mm1
Level 5

Here is what I figured out to do. Open the clients 2020 return. Go to one of their W-2 forms (earned income) and temporarily change the amount in Box 1 so that the W-2 income for 2020 equals what the W-2 income is for 2021. You can do this on Schedule C or F by just upping the gross receipts by the difference between 2020 and 2021 income.

Then hit F9 to calculate (DO NOT HIT SAVE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES) and look at what the EIC and CTC amounts are now on the 2020 return. Those are the amounts that go on that stupid AL FIT form.

Write the amounts down and exit the return without saving it. Then go to the 2021 AL FIT form and fill in the blocks with the amounts and you are done. If they got zero, a zero goes in there.

mm1
Level 5

We can now e-file AL returns with the FIT as of 4-1-22 as long as we compute the amounts that go on that form in the 2020 recalculations. Proseries will have an update on April 7 that appears to indicate that the software will compute those amounts for us. We will see. Meanwhile thankfully I have been able to e-file all of my Alabama returns that had been rejected up to 4-1-22.