Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 401K withdrawal taxable in Nevada

singh
Level 7

I worked in California ( while I was CA  resident) and have $50,000 in 401K. Now I moved to NEVADA state and if I withdraw the $50,000 from the 401K while I am a Nevada resident  will I have to pay CA tax on that withdrawal?

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you were an NV resident at the time of withdrawal, no, you do not pay CA tax on it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
qbteachmt
Level 15

There is not enough detail here to answer. What does the software show when you enter the info for your client? What does the FTB tell you applies, once you read the reference that applies to your client? Why doesn't your client roll that 401k to an IRA? 

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
George4Tacks
Level 15

You made a nice simple statement, that if true would not have the 401k be taxed by CA. Often there is more to the story, so I would start my research at https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html and see if all the facts and circumstances will be met to qualify for no CA tax on the 401K. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you were an NV resident at the time of withdrawal, no, you do not pay CA tax on it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
qbteachmt
Level 15

There are too many "I" statements here. You might be lost on the internet.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
singh
Level 7

Thank you, everyone for your help.

0 Cheers
singh
Level 7

Thank you for providing me the website that answered all my questions.

0 Cheers