Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

irs letter requesting form 1310 but client OWED money

ljr
Level 8

Has anyone else have any clients that have recently received a notice from the IRS addressed to the estate of (deceased taxpayer) stating that a form 1040 was filed but form 1310 is missing. They send a copy of the form and request it be competed signed and returned. The first call I got on this was last week and when I checked the return the taxpayer owed money. I just got a call from another person who received the letter for their deceased relative and again the person owed money and was not due a refund? Computer glitch? 

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Computer glitch or poorly trained employee, either way, Id just skip it personally.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think the IRS computers are on drugs.  In the last month or so, I had two corporate returns that received notices saying they owed tens of thousands of dollars.  Both corporations also received notices dated a week later showing that they had charged penalties and then reversed them showing balance dues of zero.

Slava Ukraini!
judys3
Level 4

Oh I was so happy to read this!  One of my SCorp customers received a letter stating they filed late and were penalized.  I have sent 2 letters with documentation that the returns were filed timely with attachments from Proseries showing when the returns were filed and accepted.  

Another customer has received multiple letters that their 941s were not received.  I again answered and sent multiple copies that they had been with letters. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

In the past 2 weeks I have received about a dozen letters from IRS denying extensions of time to file, claiming they weren't filed on time. For 1040s, 1041s and 1120s.

I'm about to argue my first one. Just efiled a 1041 and the trust owed.

I'm not doing anything about the others yet. If they don't owe, no problem. If they do, I'll fight.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

It is getting to be quite absurd.

kgreen8393
Level 5

We have received multiple letters about the extensions being late as well.  This was on paper filed extensions (due to death of taxpayer).  It appears the IRS is entering the filing date as the date they receive them, not the date they were mailed so they consider them late.  Very frustrating.