Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual Extension rejected

JRC
Level 8

Received a Reject code R0000-902-01 filing form 4868 extension for a new client this year.

Taxpayer TIN in the return header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return.

Could this be an extension form 4868 was previously filed or would they be stating a Form 1040 was previously filed? 

That is my question.

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would paper file and not bother wasting any additional time on it today.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
dkh
Level 15

Possible the prior year preparer filed an extension not realizing the client was not planning on returning.

Although, I think the prior preparer would also need to be using an Intuit product for you to get the rejection.

JRC
Level 8

I thought of that but the client didn't think that they would have. I should insist they contact them to verify but then again why get the prior preparers involved? Nothing like waiting till the last day for this to have happened. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

I would paper file and not bother wasting any additional time on it today.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN  If you would paper file, you would not be using Stamps.com to get a delivery confirmation number.  That's because IRS has an unlisted address, at least for the Austin Service Center.  Stamps.com refuses to print labels or envelopes with the published IRS address because, they say, the Post Office does not recognize it as a valid address.  

The two government functions that Americans deal with most -- the Post Office and the IRS -- and they aren't talking to each other. 

(Same problem with Kansas City, but Ogden is accepted.)

JRC
Level 8

Exactly what I just did.... It isn't worth the extra time and effort.

JRC
Level 8

I assembled the 1040 and state and told them to mail it in. Last thing I need is for them to come back with an IRS notice of not Receiving an Extension with an Amount due.