Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I pulled a Jim at the post office

PATAX
Level 15

Big line at the post office because people were getting their passports. Had to wait for a while.  When it was my turn I had 7 packages of tax returns to be mailed via priority mail with delivery confirmation. I had everything ready and perfect and They were processed in less than 3 minutes ! The bill came up to about 70 bucks and I had my tap credit card ready, and Wham in one second it was paid. The whole process in less than 3 minutes! Thanks Jim for being a role model.

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

My office in NJ handles intake, scanning, printing, mailing (at PO across the street).... If I have questions, I call the client at my convenience.  If not, returns are completed and returned by mail, pickup in office, or portal....  pretty seamless....   I do have occasional clients (requesting in person meetings.... )  Thats not a problem either .........  I'm in Fl and less than a 20 minute uber from the airport... 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
dascpa
Level 11

Every tax return I mail out is done via Priority Mail with Tracking. I use DazZle by Endicia (they now own NetStamps too) and a Dymo 4x6 label printer.  Never have to go to the post office.

IRonMaN
Level 15

I use Pitney Bowes with priority mail tracking.  Weigh it, label it, and dump it off at the PO.  No muss, no fuss.

Slava Ukraini!
dascpa
Level 11

And how much does Pitney Bowes charge you monthly.  I pay $9.99.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It's all part of the package that includes the postage meter, so I think it was $9.98. 😉

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I can top that :).. since i see all of my clients in person, except for a few clients that live in different states, I hardly ever even mail tax returns.  Client comes out to my office.. I greet them. cut the chit chat, prepare the returns, print, they sign, pay me and I thank them and say have a nice year.. (I may cut the have a nice year part as it really means nothing.. me saying have a nice year does not guarantee they will have a nice year and it does take time to say it. 

PATAX
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio 👍 yeah sometimes when I start talking with a client it can go on and on forever. But other clients I have known since I was a kid so I can't completely brush them off. I think it just depends on the client and trying to reach a balance.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

client today was hobbling.. i made the mistake of asking them if they are ok. they went on and on about their bad hip.. i tried to appear interested as much as i could

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

My office in NJ handles intake, scanning, printing, mailing (at PO across the street).... If I have questions, I call the client at my convenience.  If not, returns are completed and returned by mail, pickup in office, or portal....  pretty seamless....   I do have occasional clients (requesting in person meetings.... )  Thats not a problem either .........  I'm in Fl and less than a 20 minute uber from the airport... 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
BobKamman
Level 15

I use Stamps.com.  Print labels with postage.  Latest problem is that the new mail collection boxes have such narrow slots that even a #10 envelope is difficult to insert.  But, we take things as we find them.  

dascpa
Level 11

Tracked down the postal manager about that very problem.  They put rivets in the mailboxes to limit the opening.  I complained that many of my tax returns wouldn't fit.  The reason is mail theft.  People somehow fish wire and whatever else to capture mail from inside the boxes to steal checks and info. 

It is okay to pull a Jim while at the post office.

It is not okay to pull a finger while at the post office.

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I had a client last year have his envelope, check and voucher mangled at a Tennessee post office.  It was due 3/01.  Post Office sent it back to him in like little bitty pieces  (somehow they got his address).

It took us all year to convince the IRS that it was mailed in time even as we showed them the pieces and the postmaster explanation.  We had mailed a replacement check immediately and of course that one was late so they assessed late fees and penalties.