Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had to report a home on form 1041 . can i take the home exclusion

Jerry C
Level 3

Working on a form 1041 and in part there was the sale of a home. The income / profit is showing up as a capital gains(and that looks ridiculuosly high).

Can i take the home exclusion since the home was lived in by the decendent for 30+years and was sold almost immediatly after the death.

If I can, where and how.

Also does the 1041 estate pay the taxes or the beniciary (K1) pay the tax

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

If was sold as soon as you mentioned, I would just go with FMV on the date of death equal to the selling price.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you factor in the step up in basis when you calculated the ridiculously high capital gain?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Dead people dont sell homes, so no exclusions, no matter how long they lived in it.  

Youve got stepped up basis for the sale of the house (which is even better!), you dont need any exclusions.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
sjrcpa
Level 15

Estate or trust 1041? If trust, what kind of trust?

Nevermind. Listen to Lisa and Jeff.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

He said estate - I believed him 😁

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Oops. Missed that part at the bottom.

Ex-AllStar
Jerry C
Level 3

Thank you

Jerry C
Level 3

Thanks!! I guess I will then have to find out what the Fair Market value was at the time of sale, correct? and then I can use as my basis, Correct?

If that is correct, I greatly appreciate your help

IRonMaN
Level 15

If was sold as soon as you mentioned, I would just go with FMV on the date of death equal to the selling price.

Slava Ukraini!
Jerry C
Level 3

Great  Thanks again!!!

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers