Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I could have used some Jim returns today

IRonMaN
Level 15

That pile of returns didn't shrink all that much today. No Jim returns in the pile so it looks like I am going to have to get that shredder out.  Excuse the noise if it gets a little loud.  For everybody working today, just remember it's the last day of the work week today so be happy.  But then again, we are all tax preparers so the day of the week doesn't really matter.  Ok, you don't have to be that happy.

Slava Ukraini!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PATAX
Level 15

Jim if you would stop checking your watch all the time to see how long the returns take you might be able to get another one or two returns done each day.

View solution in original post

45 Comments 45
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
IRonMaN
Level 15

I guess I can skip putting on that helmet that came with the shredder.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

From a favorite client:

For the office dictionary 

Sunday return - noun, a term reserved for difficult client returns, clients who's tax situation changes every year and isn't ever the same twice. Must have a minimum of three K-1's, although two-for-one credit is available for K-1's restated after the return is finished, but not yet filed.  Bonus credit if one K-1 is from a PTP.   A similar term to used in the office is "Sunday Client", as in "The Smith's are Sunday Clients" as I'll be working on their return all day Sunday.  

Yep.. by now there aren't any easy returns.  Only 'less bad' returns.   BTW, I *hate* the month of March.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

March isn't so bad, it has my birthday included in it.  My month to hate is December.  After this many years, I know what follows it ☹️

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Awww... then I'll lighten up on March.  Mine is in April but AFTER the 15th (not that 4.15.xx seems to be relevant in tax prep world anymore 😂 )

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Now that I know about your birthday, this year I hope you are surprised when you walk out birthday morning and see a new car in your driveway with a ribbon wrapped around it.  It won't be from me, but I'm hoping you will be surprised if somebody does that for you. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
TiredFarmer
Level 7

I hope you both have great birthdays and maybe both of you will get surprised with a new car!  I just appreciate you all helping me try and get thru another season.  Thanks for all some of you do for everyone.

IRonMaN
Level 15

My birthday is gone————— and no new car was in the driveway.  Maybe next year, or the year after or the year after that …… and so on and so on.

The one thing I enjoy about this place is seeing familiar names year after year.  It’s almost like a family reunion———- complete with some of the family members who you wish would have skipped this year’s reunion 😁

As a side note, just to clarify, I am always happy to see farmers ——- even though they are tired they still make sure they get to the reunion👍🏼

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

No new car for you, but you do have that snifty new shredding machine.

This is what I'm hoping for next month:

BMW M3-red.jpg

( Generic Comment )"
PATAX
Level 15

@abctax55 you are exactly correct, now the bigger returns come in. That's why I try to finish "smaller" Pita returns as fast as possible. Not too many easy returns anymore. I don't have one return like Jim's returns.@IRonMaN the only one that gets a new car for birthday or Christmas is in that stupid commercial. You know where there are two vehicles and the spoiled wife wants the husband's vehicle. And the sissy says okay. Real realistic commercial there.....I finished early today and went out into the countryside. Saw bald eagles, hawks, and a great blue heron. All close and I got pictures. Heidi saw that blue heron also and wanted going into water to see what it was. You have to get a little bit of R&R like this during tax season or these lunatics will make us join their Club.

rbynaker
Level 13

The one Jim return I have decided she should start playing with virtual currency.  So she opened this trading account . . . in Australia.

abctax55
Level 15

I *HATE* that commercial.  

So Heidi was interested.... Juno has zero interest in chasing, looking at, acknowledging anything except a tennis ball or 'bong' (rubber thing at the end of a rope that we throw for her).  Squirrels walk up on the deck beside her; bears go thru the yard, coyote yip in the neighborhood, rabbits hop by and she ignores them.  At times, I'm not sure she's really a dog 🙂

( Generic Comment )"
poolcleaner
Level 9

My timing is bad on this, but who ever has just one PTP?  They come in multiples of five.

abctax55
Level 15

@poolcleaner   LOL... ain't THAT the truth.  I've managed to convince most clients to get out of them, mainly by threatening to fire them.

( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

@poolcleaner  It’s nice to see you out and about.  We haven’t being seeing much of you these days.  I assume your pool boys are keeping you entertained.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Jane's too busy being a grandma to have time for those pool boys.

( Generic Comment )"
rcooley25
Level 11

Happy Birthday Iron Man.

You know how to tell that your getting old?

It happens when you read the obituary columns in the news paper and every one that is listed is younger than you.

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I only did 14 returns today.. only worked about 1/2 day.. down from my usual 22 or so returns a day during the week.. I had one today that was super easy.. all he needed was a 2021 city return.. that one took me maybe three minutes but I spent another minute building a 2022 file until he told me we were doing 2021 city. 

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

thought I would try and fit in two remote ones in this evening. did i say how i dislike remote tax prep.. this one guy sent me his info on a google drive. i especially dislike remote returns using google drive.  doing returns this way. back and forth from one screen to another. if i print them out they are real dark pdfs and will take up half my toner.. just meet in person like a normal person... well these folks moved out of Ohio but they could have flown up here to see me. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

@rcooley25  I turned 66 so I’m not quite there in the obituary reviews, but I’m getting close.  When my clients ask how long I am going to keep this gig, my standard answer is - As long as I still like my job, I’ll keep on coming to work.  My only caveat is if I still like doing this when I’m 80 years old, I’m not going to be working 80 hours a week.

@Jim-from-Ohio - if you ever decide to start doing TV commercials, you will have to find the guy that talked. 6 million words a minute doing the old Fed-Ex commercials.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

ugh.. now i see they used google sheets to list their expenses.. why couldn't they use excel like a normal person

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

i could do four of my "normal" returns in the time it takes to do one remote return. between going back and forth from screen to screen to having a bunch of open items that would have been avoided if the client was sitting here these remote returns are for the birds.  and one more thing that now I am so stressed from this remote return.. No, you cannot "just drop off your tax papers" and I get to them when I have time.  We have to set up an appointment.  Dropping off tax papers is almost as bad as remote tax prep.. I will have open items and have to call you and have various returns with open items.  So no drop offs. I had a drop off last week and of course there were questions. taxpayer was like 82 year old lady.. it was about 9:30 pm and I thought.. hmm. should i call her with my questions.. i decided well, yes call her.. i don't know why the call went to her answering machine.. if she was in person i could have avoided all of that back and forth. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

You should try a little Fireball to calm yourself down

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

second biggest mistake i made.. thinking a remote return will go off without a hitch..  biggest misake I made.. trying to do a remote return on sunday at 9:30 pm.. i am stressed out from this remote nonsense.

itonewbie
Level 15

Welcome to my tiny universe of expats and foreign nationals.  Remote and OSI are par for the course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

I’ll stay here on earth.  You go conquer that universe Obi-Wan.

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@IRonMaN wrote:

I’ll stay here on earth.  You go conquer that universe Obi-Wan.

May the farce be with you, @IRonMaN🤣

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

Since we are in an Intuit universe, I am happy to see that you spelled that correctly 😉

Slava Ukraini!
ljr
Level 8

I agree with everything you all said. I'll add that my missing info pile keeps getting larger no matter how many I finally get the info to finish. Sunday was supposed to be the easy day but I just realized I did 23 returns yesterday before my head exploded and I ran for the wine. I can't handle the fireball. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

You need to be 79 before you can drink Fireball unsupervised.

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@itonewbie I don't know how you can put up doing remote returns.. that remote return I was working on last night.. the guy missed one page of the W-2 and he sent it this morning as a jpeg. it was so small i cannot read the figures and when i made the jpeg bigger the number becomes all blurry.. I detest remote uploaded documents.  I prepare returns with clients sitting in front of me with hard copies. Now I have to wait for this guy to upload a pdf of that w-2 and i am sure there will be other problems with this return.. simple thing like "same checking account as last year? becomes an ordeal. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

We all have our own practices, clients, and ways of dealing with clients.  But at the end of the day I think you are in the minority of regular visitors here.  You seem to be one of the few that has a stopwatch out trying to break time records for how long it takes to prepare a return 😉

Slava Ukraini!
itonewbie
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio I know exactly how you feel.  It's so much easier to sit down with someone, sort out the docs, and ask all the questions you need (for the most part anyway).  Going back and forth is very time consuming but I learned to deal with it because that's how things were even before internet, with expats and foreign nationals having difficulties gathering documents from different parts of the world.  Back then, when we had DGI's, those were mainly for shoe box returns.

I have to agree OSI is problematic.  These suck in a lot of time, especially when things come in piecemeal.

In terms of docs not being legible, I can't complain too much.  Like I said recently in another post, the scans and jpeg files we receive now are of relatively decent quality compared to things that got faxed over in low resolution.  After a while, you get pretty good at making out those subtle differences between 5 and 6, 8 and 9, etc.

I do have to flip between screens with those uploaded documents.  Marking things up is a bit more tedious than handwriting for sure and I can't denote audit trails for both source and destination like I could in a paper file.  But I also save time by not having to create paper files that need to be organized and maintained whenever new documents come in.  And because we no longer have any more printed copies of anything, we don't have to worry about shredding documents, draft returns, etc., and disposing of them securely.  So, there are pros and cons to both systems.

Still an AllStar
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I had the great experience of an in-person appointment this weekend:

I sat there staring at my client as he spent 15 minutes yelling on the phone (in a foreign language) with his wife trying to explain that she needs to sign a Form 8332 for him to claim the kid.

TaxGuyBill_0-1679351832195.png

I don't need Jim returns to catch up.  I need Jim.  I figure it would be worth whatever Jim charges to have him in my office at 8:00 am.  I figure by noon all the returns will be done and I could enjoy some time hitting a bucket of golf balls in the afternoon!  Heck, I will even treat Jim to 18 holes and dinner at either Michael Jordan's, Ditka's or Harry Caray's, his choice.  You know, come to think of it, when I grow up, I want to be Jim!

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

7 pm here.. I did 26.25 returns today;  due to the blasted ones that insist on using a portal .75 is not completed.. Rest of evening doing payroll and clean up now. 

I can't do 26 returns in week.  The .25 of a return, that is about what I have accomplished today.

IRonMaN
Level 15

@Jim-from-Ohio  - You do have me curious.  Do you prepare any returns that take longer than 15 minutes to prepare?

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

@IRonMaN sure. more involved returns that may include a Schedule C, rental property, multiple W-2s backdoor roths, (not that any of those are difficult), just a bit longer maybe 20-30 minutes.

IRonMaN
Level 15

It must drive you mad jumping from your 4 minute return to one of those 20 minute returns.  When you are done it must seem like you were working all day on it 😜

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

I had one show up today that was not on my appointment book.. they said they had a 4 pm appt but i did not have it on my calendar.. I really had to scramble on that one as my next "real" appt arrived shortly have the unannounced ones showed up.  I was working record speed there. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Did you break the 4 minute record?

Slava Ukraini!
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

They had like three 1099-DIVS, some actual capital gains and losses (not just capital gain distributions)  and I think two 1099-Rs in addition to their W-2.  That one took me I think 13 minutes. 

PATAX
Level 15

Jim if you would stop checking your watch all the time to see how long the returns take you might be able to get another one or two returns done each day.

IRonMaN
Level 15

That's the best post of the today so that has to be a solution 😁

Slava Ukraini!