Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

husbands died in 2020 how to make spouse a single primary taxpayer or have to start a brand new return?

ydaleu
Level 3

can I continue with the actual carryover or do I have to make a brand new return for the spouse?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

in proSeries Professiional. if you fill out the date of death part on the info wkst (right below age), in the year of death, it will bring only the spouse over to the next year's return. But yiou have to select her new filing status (i.e single, HOH, etc)

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

in proSeries Professiional. if you fill out the date of death part on the info wkst (right below age), in the year of death, it will bring only the spouse over to the next year's return. But yiou have to select her new filing status (i.e single, HOH, etc)

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sometimes you have to be really brave and run with some reasonably sharp scissors.  If you transferred and it didn't work, all you would have had to do was delete the transferred file and go to plan B.  Sometimes living on the edge saves a little time instead of spending time posting and waiting for a response here.

Slava Ukraini!