Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report a Coinbase-issued Form 8949 transactions without Form 1099-B?

aedwan
Level 4

Taxpayer emailed me Form 8949 from his Coinbase portal with box C checked in lieu of 1099-B. It has hundreds of transactions, which will be impossible to list on the "Quick Entry Table." Can I just enter total proceeds and total cost on the 1099-B worksheet and attach Coisnbase copy of 8949 to tax return? The problem is that the figures from the 1099-B worksheet flow to Schedule D, Part Box 1a as opposed to Part 1 Box 3 (Total transactions reported on 8949 with Box C checked.)   

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
jeffmcpa2010
Level 11

I enter it by bundling up all of the taxpayer's information in to a pile.

Then I Enter the pile into a USPS Flat Rate envelope addressed to the taxpayer with a note wishing them luck with his future endeavors as well as with his future tax preparer.

I am to old, grouchy, and set in my ways to deal with clients who are getting involved in fake, make believe money.

Is Basic different from Professional?  In Professional you can get the transaction to be reported with Box C.  Just answer "no" when asked if reported on Form 1099-B.

As for attaching their Form 8949, I would not do it.  I had a client with Coinbase in today and this is what I did.  I took the Excel spreadsheet and did a little reformatting.  It took less than 5 minutes to do.  I got rid of the columns with the worthless info, such as transaction ID, etc.  I moved everything down so I had room for a header where I added the client's name and SSN and a description "2022 Coinbase Short-Term Transactions Not Reported on Form 1099-B".  I formatted the purchase, sales, and gain columns to two decimal places.  Then at the bottom I totaled these columns with a column footer (Total Sales Price, Total Purchase Price, Net Gain/Loss) and attached this document as a pdf to the return.  On the Schedule D worksheet, for the description I put "Coinbase Transactions - See Attached", entered the total sales price and total cost basis, and made sure I checked "no" when asked if reported on Form 1099-B.  Since these were all short-term, for date sold I put "12/31/21" and for date acquired I put "Various", while indicating "S" for the holding period.

aedwan
Level 4

Very helpful, greatly appreciated! Coinbase should be required to issue Form 1099-B to its clients.