Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to offset passive income with Sched E prior year disallowed losses for new client

Nat Hussey
Level 3

I believe I have the new client's prior year passive losses properly entered on Schedule E, but I'm not seeing any offset against client's other passive income. Client has ample passive income, but not Schedule E passive income.  Thank you!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Dividends and Capital Gains are considered "Portfolio Income" not passive income.  Thus they do not release passive losses from their prison cells.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Nat Hussey wrote:

Client has ample passive income, but not Schedule E passive income.

What exactly is that other passive income, and where do you have it entered on the tax return?

Nat Hussey
Level 3

The other passive income consists of capital gains, dividends, distributions, etc. My sense is that it's an apples-to-oranges thing where even if those income sources are passive, the schedule E carryovers need to offset other Schedule E income which the client did not have this year. ?

0 Cheers
taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

Dividends and Capital Gains are considered "Portfolio Income" not passive income.  Thus they do not release passive losses from their prison cells.

Nat Hussey
Level 3

That's what I thought, but you explain it well.

0 Cheers